GA4 is the latest version of Google Analytics. It offers an array of enhanced features, functions, and insights that'll allow you to better track a customer’s journey across multiple platforms.
With Universal Analytics, page views were the most important metric. With Google Analytics 4, all measurements are events. GA4 leverages AI and machine learning to provide more detailed insights into how users interact with your website and/or app. You can still view session-level reporting in GA4, but the ability to break it down by interaction (events) means more in-depth reports and insights.
GA4 also offers a few new metrics! These include engagement metrics such as engaged sessions, engagement rate, and engagement time. It also tracks a number of other dimensions including attribution, demographics, events, and more. AI metrics include purchase probability, churn probability, and revenue predictions.
How to Upgrade from Universal Analytics to GA4
Note: If you already have Universal Analytics, your UA ID cannot point to your new GA4 ID nor can it be migrated. You will have to use Google’s Set Up Assistant to create a unique GA4 ID.
- Log in to Google Analytics and click on Admin on the lower-left corner of the page.
- In the "Property" column, select GA4 Setup Assistant.
- Click on Get Started under the "I want to create a new Google Analytics 4 property" section.
- Click on Create property and you will be redirected to the screen where you can see your GA4 property.
- Click on the arrow (>) under "Tag Installation" to go to the Data Streams screen.
- On the Data Streams screen, click on the arrow (>) under the Data Streams heading which will direct you to the Web Stream Details page.
- You can find the Measurement ID for GA4 property in the top-right corner of the Web Stream Details page.
How to Create a New Google Analytics Account + GA4 Property
- Navigate to https://analytics.google.com/analytics/ and click on the Start Measuring button.
- Provide the name of your account (company name) and click Next.
- Fill in the requested information on the "Property Setup" section and click Next.
- Provide a website URL and click Next.
- Fill in the requested information on the "About Your Business" section and click Create.
- Check the relevant boxes and accept the Measurement Controller-Controller Data Protection Terms as required by the GDPR.
- You will then be redirected to the Web Stream Details page where you can find the Measurement ID in the top-right corner.
Adding the GA4 Tag in Party Center Software
- To locate the tracking code script, log in to your GA4 account and click on Admin on the lower-left corner of the page.
- Click on the Data Streams option and select the Web tab. Click on the arrow (>) under the Data Streams heading to go to the Web Stream Details page.
- On the Web Stream Details page, select either the Add New On-Page Tag or View Tag Instructions option found under "Tagging Instructions". This is where you will find the Global Site Tag (gtag.js).
At this point, please contact support to add the GA4 tag to your Party Center Software portal by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to copy the tracking code script on this page and include it in the email. You can also reach support by calling (916) 226-4062 if you need further assistance.